Adult B Mitzvah Program is for the Jewish adults filling that missing piece with their Judaism.
Dear Rabbi Andrea
It’s official, after months of studying, I became an adult Bat Mitzvah. Rabbi Andrea officiated a beautiful ceremony, my guests could not stop talking about it and I could not have been any happier. Thank you, Rabbi Andrea for such a special day and helping me to strengthen my knowledge, understanding, and pride of being a Jew! I will truly miss our classes!
What is an Adult B Mitzvah?
Simply, an Adult B Mitzvah is the Bar Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah you never had at age 13. That ‘something is missing’ can now fulfilled. Classes and a ceremony is available and in place.
It is never too late to become a Bar or Bat Mitzvah. During World War II, many Jewish children in Europe could not have ceremonies. Many waited until years later when they were adults. Many adults today have realized their dreams of becoming Bar Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah and many more are preparing for it. Imagine attending a Bar Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah of a friend or relatives child and being able to follow in the prayer book. Or better yet, being able to recite certain blessings in your home around the holiday table. You can read Hebrew and feel very proud that you studied and can join in.
I Am Not A Member of a Congregation
If you are not a member of a temple or synagogue, that is ok. This program is still available to you with the rabbi known as the Jewish Wedding Rabbi. You can learn the most important prayers for Shabbat services and the blessings often recited. That includes the history and Torah Study.
- With your busy schedule, can you make the commitment to spare the time for lessons?
- Can you make the commitment to study 15-30 minutes a day?
Alternative B Mitzvah Preparation
- Learn the Hebrew alphabet along with its vowels
- Learn to read Hebrew words after mastering the Hebrew alphabet
- Learn prayerbook Hebrew prayers after learning how to read Hebrew words
- Learn, read, write, and be able to present a D’var Torah (speech ) on the Torah portion you would have read at the age of 13. This is an amazing moment!
- Learn to read a few lines of the weekly Torah Parsha (portion) for your ceremony
- After mastering learning Hebrew, learning to read Torah for your Ceremony day; a 1-hour moving Shabbat worship service lead by you and Rabbi A. Frank will take place
- One-on-one tutoring takes place weekly or bi-weekly online using a secure classroom. The option for Zoom, Skype, or Microsoft Meets is not available.
- The ceremony date guidance will provide how to plan classes and goals.
- Each adult student’s level is different – be patient and shown how with confidence.
- All that is needed is a desire to learn, and everything will follow with ease.
- The ceremony can take place in the Tri-State area (i.e. New York City (Manhattan), Northern New Jersey, Fairfield area of Connecticut, Long Island (Nassau County), Westchester County (Lower to Mid Hudson Valley), Brooklyn (Dumbo, Prospect Park area), Queens. Destination Mitzvahs will no longer be available as of 2023.